Archive for the 'Healthy, Delicious Recipes' Category
Looking for some healthy desserts to make with those fresh & tasty apples that are still around? Look no further!
Here are my own recipes for Apple Crumble, Apple Pie, and Fried Apples that use honey and a touch of molasses, instead of unhealthy, refined sugar. The results are unbelievably delicious, and if you’re like me, you’ll like them more than the sugar-based recipes. The red and golden delicious apples really make for a good flavor combination in these!
8 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (red & golden delicious)
1/3 cup unbleached flour, 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups uncooked oatmeal
2/3 cup honey with 1 tsp. molasses
1 T. chopped dates or 1/4 cup raisins mixed into apples
1/4 tsp. salt (or just a dash if preferred)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup canola oil
1. Place apples (& raisins if using) in a greased 9″ x 13″ glass pan.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a food processor (to save time).
3. Add oil, honey, and molasses. Combine in food processor.
4. Crumble over the apples.
5. Sprinkle the dates over the top (if using).
6. Bake at 375°F. for 30 minutes or until bubbly and apples are soft. Enjoy!
Yield: 10 servings
“FOOL-PROOF PIE CRUST” (10-INCH)
Blend in a food processor:
2 cups flour, 3/4 cup vegetable shortening, and a dash salt until crumbly. Add 1 egg, 4 Tbls. cold water, and 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice. Combine in food processor until mixture forms dough. Add more flour, if needed, to make of rolling consistency.
Roll half of dough on floured wax paper, turning once. Lift wax paper from kitchen counter. Fold in half. Place into 10″ glass pie pan, removing wax paper. Seal and flute edge of dough with a fork or make a decorative, scalloped edging.
APPLE PIE FILLING
8 cups thinly sliced, peeled, red and golden, delicious apples
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup unbleached flour
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
A Dash salt
3 Tbls. Olivio spread (butter substitute)
1. Heat oven to 425°.
2. Combine the honey, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
3. Mix into apples in a large bowl.
4. Pour into the pastry-lined pie pan. Dot with Olivio.
5. Roll out top crust onto wax paper, cutting slits in it to allow steam to escape. Place over pie. Remove wax paper. Seal and flute edge with a fork or into a scalloped edge as desired.
6. Cover edge with 2-3″ strip of aluminum foil to prevent burning; remove foil for last 15 minutes of baking.
7. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and juice starts to bubble through slits in crust.
4 Red and/or Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 Tbsp. butter or Olivio
1 Tbsp. honey, or as desired
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1. Heat frying pan. Melt butter or Olivio over medium heat.
2. Add apple slices to pan. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Fry with cover on pan, stirring occasionally.
3. Drizzle honey on apples in pan. Heat and stir until honey is melted nicely. Do not allow honey to burn.
4. Serve warm with a glass of milk or soymilk. This will taste great for breakfast or as a healthy, but amazing dessert!